12.17.2008

rehab

I haven't mentioned it many times, to anyone, but my knee has been pretty f'd up since Ironman Canada. The Second half of the marathon that day was pure torture. It wasn't the torture of moving your body 140.6 miles in one day, but acutal pain. I ran through it. There was no way in hell I was stopping. Afterward, I didn't really run a lot leading into Clearwater. When I did run there was some pain, but it was managable. I figured it would be ok. The run at Clearwater was another exercise in pain tolerance. I ran 1:35 about 6 or 7 minutes slower than I was hoping to run. It was disappointing and afterward in each successive run the pain increased.

Finally, I went to the doctor and after deliberation it turns out it is probably my soleus creating pain at the attachment point. So I started physical therapy yesterday. I hope for a speedy recovery, but am not optimistic.

1 comment:

DW said...

Sorry to hear you're going through that. Rehab sucks for sure. It's always hard to know where the trauma is originating...just because it hurts when you run doesn't mean it was hurt by running. But if you can isolate it somehow, maybe you can focus on one of the other Tri aspects for a while? Oregon has a good time-trial series you could compete in. Masters swimming?

Good luck with the healing and ongoing diagnostics.

Did you get a chance to check out the "Trigger Point Thereapy Self-Care Manual" and accompanying Thera-Cane?