12.14.2008

influenced

Recently I was asked about writers who have influenced me. I have often thought about those who have steered my thinking in various directions and wondered whether it was worth commenting on in public. After consideration, I thought it may be interesting to throw up a list.

Ordered alphabetically:

Woody Allen
Paul Bowles
Ed Burns
John Cheever
Tina Fey
Ernest Hemingway
Jack Kerouac
Norman Mailer
Cormac McCarthy
Eugene O'Neill
George Orwell
Aaron Sorkin
Gary Snyder
Hunter S. Thompson
Jose Saramago
Gary Snyder
Wallace Stevens
John Updike
William Carlos Williams

3 comments:

DW said...

Admit it...you love John Grisham novels...come clean dammit!

Seriously though. Who would you pick as number one most influential writer?

Ryan said...

Hard to tell, but the law of averages would determine, in my own chronological conciousness order, these few. At any various point in my life I would have named one of these.

Hemingway
Kerouac
Updike
Mailer
Cheever

Anonymous said...

WHAT? No women on the list?!
KEM