8.17.2008

One Week Out

Right now it is Sunday evening.

One week from today is Ironman Canada.

Today I had a nice open water swim at Hagg Lake and a good run at Hillsboro Stadium during the Hulaman Triathlon. (Congrats Aleck on another win!) Today was interesting. As race day gets closer very few thoughts, other than those pertaining to the race, are able to creep into my head. Today was not an exception.

In the water this morning I felt smooth and strong, my time suggested that I was, and as I swam my normal course in the lake I spent the whole time envisioning that same swim in Penticton on race morning. The same while running, as the day gets closer every workout, long or short, will be an exercise in race prep. This is not just the taper every endurance athlete goes through as they approach their priority races, but also the honing of an athlete's mental endurance as well. For me, and especially for this race, this means eliminating the distractions, which can be many, and calming the nerves, which can be tumultuous.

No comments: