10.05.2008

Race Report: Portland Marathon 5 Miler

It was a perfect morning for running your guts out. In preparation for Clearwater I am doing a lot of speed work, which includes some shorter road races. My goals today were, first, to go under 30min. This I did not accomplish. Second, Finish top 5 in my age group. This I did. Third, and most importantly, go hard, push the limit. Achieved.

I knew this was not going to be my fastest day, after riding for three hours the day before, but I still felt like I had enough to go sub 6min pace. I was on this pace until about 300 meters from the finish. That is when I started to feel the heave reflex trigger. I knew the last minute was going to be painful, heaving every 10 or 15 steps. I was on the rivet the whole time, but luckily I did not barf. As those of you know who have done any run from downtown PDX, we had to run up the Front Street hill to Broadway. This is stupid and although it does create some separation, it does not make for a fun run. So here are the stats.

Total time - 30:17
Age Group - 2/49
Overall - 13/1239

No comments: