10.12.2008

Race Report: Gresham Jazz Run 10k

I won overall today. It was a lot of fun. My sister asked me if this was the first time I had won a race. I promptly responded with, "No. I won the Middle School Mile." So It is the first time I have crossed the finish line first in about 16 years. I will take it. This year, the race's first, was very well organized and the course was tough. It was a mix of trail and neighborhood roads. Although there were not a lot of participants I can tell it will grow.

The competition was not outstanding. The Portland Marathon was last week accompanied by its family of races, consequently many of the runners who would have been at a race like this were not. My father quickly pointed out that on days like today you have little to gain, but much to loose. I am glad I didn't end up on the wrong side of that.

I wanted to run about 36 minutes, but after the first mile and its severe up hill, I knew it wasn't possible and attempted to settle into a nice rhythm. That first hill was a doozy. I had to shorten my strides to little pitter patter elf length. The last two miles were pancake flat and I just settled in and rode it home. Not much else to say.

Time: 39:54
Pace: 6:25

1 comment: