6.24.2008

Ironman Coeur d' Alene Registration Weekend

I spent this last weekend in beautiful Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. It had been a very long time since I had been to North Idaho, but I had remembered it as being a wonderful place, and it did not disappoint. We arrived late on Friday evening and spent the night in the public parking lot, in a camper, next to the deluxe Coeur d' Alene hotel. Our plan was to get up early to ride the course. I don't normally ride at 630a, but at that hour it was somewhat peaceful. I couldn't help but think about the contrast between the quietness of that morning and the excitement of the next. There is nothing like an Ironman morning. The tension is palpable. Nervous competitors, nervous family, the eschaton of race morning.

I went with a couple friends to register for next year, neither of which had seen an Ironman live. The day was perfect the weather couldn't have been better. We ran from our campground to the race start, watched the swimmers start their day, and then got in a 17 mile run while they went out on the bike. It was one of the most fun runs I have had in a long time we ran the Run course out past the turnaround. This train parallels the Bike course so we were able to see the everyone at the beginning of their ride. It was a lot of fun. The day went about like they all do. There is the excitement of the pro finish, family and friends waiting in nervous anticipation for their loved ones to return from a loop, then the long wait until midnight as racers stream across the finish line. It is a day that never fails to inspire.

This day, at this point, two months from Ironman Canada, was exactly what I needed. When you have to register for a race one year in advance you can loose perspective, maybe motivation. Although I wasn't in depths of misunderstanding, I can say this weekend reminded me what these races are all about. The next two months are going to be hard, but the second I cross that finish line it will all be worth it.

We got up on Monday,
got a cup of coffee and went down to the finish line area to stand in line to register for next year's race. This is the second time I have done this, the last being in Penticton last year. It is a wonderful mix of racers from the day before carrying their finishers swag, workers breaking down the Ironman production and eager future competitors. I can't wait until next year.

Congrats to all the Ironheads who competed. It was great day for all.

1 comment:

DW said...

Nice report sir. Wish I could be there to witness your effort in Penticton. If I'm still in Boulder come 2009, IMCDA might be a bit more palatable trip to try to fit into the schedule.

Find the inspiration where and when you need it. You've got great things coming.