12.14.2007

It doesn't seem that long ago.

Today, on my run, I realized that when I was in college it would have been about now, my friend Phil and I would load up his truck with all the essential items, and make the trek from Seattle to Vancouver for the Holidays. (For me, essential items included a couple books so as to look studious, as I was a college student, and every article of clothing I owned. The main reason for main reason for the clothing is that everything, and I mean everything was now dirty. I took pride in my ability to time my last wash day so that the day we left I would be wear my last clean t-shirt.) I don't know what it was about today, the light seemed right. The temperature was cool. I could see my breath, just as I would have seen my breath when we stopped for gas in Chehalis or Tumwater or Lacey. Nostalgia is a tricky mistress always residing in that long lost corner of our minds. She shows her face only when we least expect it, and appears mostly to complicate our perceptions of the reality in front of us. For it is not behind us that, in that world of the past, that we make our lives, but rather now and in what lies ahead. That trick of nostalgia relies on the complications of emotion to make opaque the task at hand.

No comments: