11.19.2008

boston

The word in itself conjures all kinds of visions. It is steeped in American lore. Tea Parties. Red Sox. Fall Leaves. For many Boston means the marathon. I lived there for four years and never ran in this vaunted and special event. I did, however, participate in the state holiday portion of the day with full fervor. Patriot's Day, awe, easily my favorite day on the Boston calendar. I went to early Sox games. I cheered the great Kenyan runners down Boylston street to the finish. I drank beers in the Pour House as a symbolic anti running event. I loved it. I was witness to the American distance running resurgence in 2006. I am already, as a fan and participant in endurance sports, a former resident of Boston and a good American, exicited for 2009. Our greatest American hope has decided to particpate next year. Good Luck and Godspeed, Ryan Hall.

No comments: