3.12.2008

Calories, Oh..Those Sweet Calories

This past Saturday I had good training day.

Swim: 2700 Yards in 56:51
Bike: 67.87 Miles in 4:07:59
Run: 3.18 Miles in 25:38

Although I did not feel the strongest I could have on the bike. I think I may have learned more about myself and training than I have in a very, very long time. I learned that you have got to be diligent in consuming your calories, oh those sweet calories, when on a ride of that length. By the time I pulled up to the front door I could barely hold myself up. I was out of gas. I tank was empty and I was a mess. I know I didn't fuel appropriately before setting out and certainly didn't attempt to keep my calorie intake high while I was out either. After getting myself filled up on pasta and juice, doing a couple errands, and resting up, my legs felt springy and alive.

My run later made my day. I was frustrated my bike ride and needed a something to validate the work I had done that day. It is sometimes amazing how a short run can really make the day.

In light of all this new information, Scott, my coach, and I are beginning to dial in my nutrition strategies for both racing and training. This is always been a challenge for me and I am looking forward to seeing continued results. Starting this week I am going to start implementing all the new strategies Scott and I have worked on. I look forward to continued success, thus far Scott has not lead me astray. I have seen only improvements.

No comments: